Location: Clyde River, NU
The Ilisaqsivik Society is as a non-profit, community-based organization dedicated to fostering personal and community development and healing initiatives for individuals and families in Clyde River, Nunavut. Ilisaqsivik is dedicated to promoting community wellness by providing space, resources, and programming that helps families and individuals find healing and develop their strengths. Ilisaqsivik was created through the vision and efforts of a group of concerned Inuit community members in Clyde River.
Ilisaqsivik Society is seeking a Director of Operations to join their team. In this role, the Director of Operations will be responsible for the management and administration of the day-to-day operations necessary to ensure that the Ilisaqsivik Society achieves its goals and objectives. The Director of Operations will work closely with the Executive Director, and other members of the leadership team, to set the organization’s strategic goals, define and action operational objectives and measures that will help the organization to achieve its strategic goals.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations will oversee all operations of the organization. They will be responsible for budget management, staff management and the successful delivery of programs and services in the areas of finance and administration, community wellness, children and youth, Elders, justice, recreation, cultural and land-based programming.
Director of Operations will provide advice and support to the Executive Director and the Board and will ensure that they have accurate and timely information in order to make effective decisions. The Director of Operations will act as a liaison between the Executive Director and other government agencies and departments, private industry, business, and any other individuals, groups or agencies operating in and beyond the community. Travel is part of this role.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Oversee the financial management of Ilisaqsivik Society operations in order to ensure that finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner and comply with relevant legislation, bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Manage and prepare budgets
- Estimate revenues and expenses
- Review and analyze financial statements and reports
- Conduct financial analysis and cash flow forecasting
- Establish internal financial controls
- Oversee payroll functions • Review and analyze variance reports
- Ensure financial systems are maintained in an accurate and timely manner
- Prepare for and respond to the annual audit
- Manage funds
Manage all Ilisaqsivik Society programs and services to ensure that services are provided in an effective and efficient manner.
- Oversee the management of programs and services
- Assist in the development of strategic plans
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, and procedures
- Provide analytical support to the organization’s leadership team including development of internal management reporting capabilities
- Develop operational plans for each program areas
- Maintain program and services standards, policies, guidelines and procedures
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and program delivery
- Develop or monitor proposals for program funding
- Coordinate web-based fundraising activities, such as a donation website
Manage all Ilisaqsivik Society staff in order to ensure a productive, positive and healthy work environment.
- Develop and implement a human resources plan and personnel management policies and procedures
- Ensure that accurate job descriptions are in place
- Recruit and orient staff; including orientation to the Ilisaqsivik Society’s Policy and Procedures Manuals
- Promote opportunities to evaluate, train and develop staff
- Provide leadership and job guidance to staff
- Ensure counseling and mentoring services are available for staff
- Supervise staff and delegate responsibilities
- Take corrective action when required with the full knowledge and approval of the Executive Director
- Maintain the general administration of the Ilisaqsivik Society.
- Work with the Executive Director to oversee tendering, awarding and management of contracts
- Take the lead in fundraising activities to increase funding from private foundations while maintaining other funding avenues
- Research potential funding, programs, and projects
- Provide reports to government agencies, departments and other organizations, as required
- Improve administrative and operational services such as grant payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Ensure records are maintained
- Maintain insurances
- Obtain legal and legislative advice on various issues
- Oversee the maintenance of computer systems and office equipment
- Ensure inventories are maintained
Represent Ilisaqsivik Society and the Board at public and community relations activities.
- Attend public meetings
- Liaise with various community groups
- Promote Ilisaqsivik Society programs, services, community events and activities
Provide support and advice to the Ilisaqsivik Society Executive Director to ensure that they are able to make effective decisions.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Board to develop and implement strategic and operational plans
- Attend Board meetings as required by the Executive Director
- Provide the Board with quarterly financial reports
- Oversee the preparation of agendas, information, and resources for Board Meetings
- Review and update the Ilisaqsivik Society Policy and Procedures Manuals with the Executive Director
- Organize the Annual General Meetings
- Coordinate Board orientation and training
Education: Completion of a post-secondary school/program in Community Development, Management, Administration, and Accounting or Financial Management Studies, or equivalent.
Knowledge: Financial management and generally accepted accounting principles, human resource management, program administration, management and delivery, program evaluation, an understanding of board governance, an understanding of the northern cultural and political environment.
Skills and Abilities: In team leadership and management, financial management, fundraising, supervision and human resource management, contract management; strategic planning, analytical and problem solving, decision making, negotiating, verbal and listening communications, computer, keyboard and software, written communications (reports, policies, bylaws), research and program development, stress management, time management; conflict resolution; strong interpersonal skills.
Language: English is mandatory, and Inuktitut is very desirable.
Competitive salary. A relocation allowance will be available.
Ilisaqsivik Society partnered with the Business Sherpa Group Executive Search team to facilitate the hiring process for this role.
Please complete the form below and include a cover letter or resumes.
Alternatively you can also submit your details directly to Magdalena Ciechanowska at firstname.lastname@example.org please reference “Director of Operations – Ilisaqsivik Society” in the subject line. The application deadline is October 30th, 2019. Late applications may be accepted.
Ilisaqsivik is committed to creating an inclusive environment and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Individual accommodations due to a disability are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, citizenship status, marital status, actual or perceived sexual orientation. Data shows that women more frequently do not apply to a job because they do not feel they meet all the qualifications listed. If you feel passionate about this role and believe that you have the skills to contribute, apply!